Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Historical Tour de Grande

Okay, I admit it.  I am a history geek.  I love history.  I have since Mrs. Cady (who was actually related to Elizabeth Cady Stanton) stood before our 5th grade class and told the most amazing stories of New York History.  I sat on the edge of my seat wanting to know more.  It wasn't about dates for geography, it was about people and their stories.  I was hooked.  My favorite time period?  Probably the Middle ages with the Civil War coming in a close second. 

When I began homeschooling my children, I was drawn to the classical module for education.  My children soaked up the stories and myths of the ancient world.  They didn't realize that they were doing history, they were listening to stories.  I want to do that for my readers.  I want to sneak in fascinating facts about major and minor historical figures.  When they reach the end, I want them to have to fight an inexplicable urge look up details they never would have thought to explore. 

Well, this evening I was presented with a challenge that I just could not pass up.  In the next 12 months I have to read 6 historical novels, in 6 different sub-genre.  I can't wait to get started.  Lucky for me, I know at least 2 of my favorite authors, Beverly Jenkins (multicultural)  and Kate Pearce (regency), either have a recent release or one coming out early in 2011.

What does this have to do with my WIP?  Hopefully, a lot.  First of all, Mrs. Research  here, is going to see how many book, within the sub-genres I can find that have characters of color.  Black would be nice, but I'm looking for Brown, Red and Yellow.   I want to use this challenge to learn about people I never thought to know.  Learn about a time period that has escaped my radar until now.   Learn to bring an long gone era back to life. I also hope that I'll be introduced to at least one author that I've never heard of, but won't be able to live without.

Let the games begin.

I am what libraries and librarians have made me, with a little assistance from a professor of Greek and a few poets.

2 comments:

  1. Welcome! I'm excited to have you signed up for the challenge! I've been exploring sub-genres all day. I've managed to stack my TBR pile. I can't believe I've missed so many historical fiction books! I also made the adjustment to the linky so everything is set up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice!! Good luck. Beverly writes amazing stories, with such a beautiful blend of history as a secondary character. Read all her stuff.

    ReplyDelete